Medical transportation benefits may be provided for status members of Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte living on-reserve or off-reserve members with prior approval from the Health Canada NIHB Program. Contact the NIHB Analyst at 613-967-3603 ext. 120.
This service can be used to access the following types of medically necessary health services:
– Medical services defined as insured services by provincial/territorial health plans (e.g. doctors appointments, hospital care)
– diagnostic tests and medical treatments ordered by a physician or other health professional within his or her scope of practice and which are covered by provincial/territorial health plans
– publicly-funded alcohol, solvent, drug abuse and detox treatment
– traditional healers
– Non-Insured Health Benefits (vision, dental, mental health, medical supplies and equipment)
– Publicly-funded preventative screenings i.e. breast cancer screening (where co-ordination with other medical travel is not feasible)
The program has a fleet of volunteer drivers to assist in getting you to and from appointments when you, a family member or friend cannot manage. In order to access this part of the program, you must call the medical transportation clerk to register at 613-967-3603 ext. 127, giving at least 48 hours notice.
If you can drive yourself, or a friend/family member drives you, that driver is eligible for a stipend to help cover the cost of getting to and from the medical appointment. The process requires the person going to the appointment to fill out a form and a signature from the medical facility is also required. MBQ has a catchment area in which our clients can access medical assistance within. Please call the office to make sure your appointment is eligible.