Mohawk Family Services
CWC Program Information Fair
Community Callout: Singers, Dancers, Drummers
Mohawk Family Services March Colouring Contest
Please call or Email Janelle Sampson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (613)-967-0122 ext. 178 for any questions or concerns.
”Support – Nurture – Protect”
Mohawk Family Services is a prevention program created to help protect the children of our community; to provide support to families, with the goal of keeping families together, wherever possible; and to nurture and instill the traditional values of Mohawk People in our relationship with the child and family.
Interested in fostering or adopting?
If interested in becoming a foster/adoptive home or providing respite care please call Mohawk Family Services at 613-967-0122 for more information.
EARLY INTERVENTION AND PREVENTION
Mohawk Family Services is a prevention program involving early intervention and support for families in need. The goal is to reduce the need for protection services and the need for children to be placed outside their family home. Children and families who are in need of assistance and support with all aspects of family life can call for help.
Mohawk Family Services is funded by the Federal and Provincial Governments.
PROTECTION & PLACEMENT
Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte and Mohawk Family Services have a Memorandum of Understanding with Highland Shores Children’s Aid. They recognize the Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte’s right to support and provide service when their members are involved with the Child Protection system. The goal is always to provide the most support with the least intrusion possible.
Programs & Services
Functions & Activities
Mohawk Family Services is staffed by:
- 4 Family Service Co-ordinators
- 2 Intake & Family Resource Workers*
- 2 Family Support Prevention Workers*
- 1 Child and Youth Worker*
- 1 Team Support Worker
- 1 Program Manager
*positions pending funding availability
Our staff also provides assistance for children and families who are not involved in the Child Protection system, by:
- Offering one-to-one and family support/help through difficult emotional and physical situations
- Parenting support and support with difficult ages and stages of development
- Support with educational issues
- Home visits – including help with keeping the home environment clean and safe
- Support at community events and in times of community need
- Providing referrals to other Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte programs
- Providing referrals to off Territory programs, depending on client need
Early Intervention Prevention
Preventative help is provided through a variety of ways, including:
- One-on-one and family support
- 24 hour crisis response
- Family group conferencing
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Training, education & referral (parenting, behaviour management)
- Home visits
- Advocacy and referral on behalf of the client’s needs
- Community events for families to attend
- Yearly events for children i.e Youth Awards, Children’s Shopping Day
Protection and Placement
Protection services are still required sometimes, and so, along with Family and Children’s Services of Frontenac, Lennox and Addington and Highland Shores Children’s Aid, Mohawk Family Services provides the following services:
- Court support for child protection proceedings
- Attendance and family support in child protection investigations
- Offering alternative placement options for children